Interstate Custody

Interstate Child Custody Attorney: Miami, Florida

Issues regarding child custody and time sharing are complex under normal circumstances. If one or both parents move to a different state, it is important to consult with an experienced family law attorney about modifying an existing court order.

The law office of Ronald H. Kauffman, A Professional Association, has assisted residents throughout South Florida with interstate custody issues and other family law matters for more than a decade. In Florida, if a parent wishes to relocate more than 50 miles away from the child’s other parent for a period longer than 60 days, the law requires the relocating parent to obtain a court-approved modification to the existing order.


More information on this practice topic:

Divorce / Collaborative Law / Mediation & Settlement / Child Custody And Time-Sharing / Interstate Custody Issues

International Custody Issues / Child Support / Property Division / Dividing Businesses And Real Estate / Alimony

Parental Relocation barra_separadora

Whether you are a Florida resident who seeks the return of a child to this state, or you wish to pursue court approval to relocate with your child to another state, a lawyer will be instrumental in accomplishing your goals. Miami attorney Ronald H. Kauffman has the experience and know-how you need during this challenging time.

Protecting Your Rights Regarding Interstate Child Custody

If a parent moves to a different state, the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) grants continuing jurisdiction to the child’s “home state,” which is defined as the state where the child has lived with a parent for six consecutive months prior to the move (or since birth if the child is younger than 6 months). Florida courts typically retain jurisdiction if one parent continues to live here.

If a parent moves with a child to another state without notifying the child’s other parent or without obtaining proper court approval, that parent may be charged with child abduction. It is important to note, however, that a small window of time is provided once a parent has received notice of the other parent’s proposed relocation. Ron helps individuals petition the court for the right to relocate and he helps parents defend against a proposed relocation.

Helping Parents Deal With Life Changes

Relocation issues are time-sensitive. Contact Ronald H. Kauffman, P.A., to schedule a free consultation. He will review the facts of your case, provide a candid assessment and recommend the best steps to take.


What is your family law issue? Start here to explore the practice:

Family Law / Prenuptial And Postnuptial Agreements / Paternity / Same-Sex Relationships

Assisted Reproductive Technology Law barra_separadora